Non-Domestic EPCS - FAQS

How long does an EPC survey take?

This depends on the size of the property and complexity of systems such HVAC. More complex properties will take longer.

How quickly will I receive the certificate after the survey?

If you ask Ynni Cymru Energy Solutions Ltd to produce your EPC, you can receive your certificate by email within 4-5 days for simple properties, depending on complexity. For other suppliers, you will need to check with them.

When do I pay for my EPC?

The EPC will need to be paid in full within 7 days following the survey and production of the EPC. We can only accept cheques or a bank transfer. A receipt will be given to you for the fee paid.

Can you produce floor plans for my property marketing?

Yes we can for an additional fee (quote provided) and these are produced to a professional standard in readiness for you or your agent to use straight away. The floor plans can be produced along with your EPC or separately if you don't need an EPC.

Are you a Green Deal Advisor (GDA)?

No we are not. I produce the Energy Performance Certificate in advance for you before you contact a Green Deal Provider who will then assign a GDA to your Green Deal application.

Can Ynni Cymru Energy Solutions Ltd offer advice on how to improve my property's energy efficiency?

Yes we can. A report for your property is produced along with the EPC by the SBEM software indicating the areas of your property that could / should be improved to cut down your energy bills. This is all part of the agreed fee. 

Will my current spending on energy bills be taken into account?

Not specifically. The estimated energy bill calculations on the EPC are based on standardised building conditions and not the individual owner’s business operation. What can be provided is an estimate of costs and possible savings available when carrying out recommended changes to the property. The recommendations are classed as short, medium and long term monetary savings and carbon emission savings. 

Will I invalidate the EPC if I carry out changes to my property?

No. You may point out to prospective purchasers that you have made the changes and therefore increased the energy efficiency rating. You may consider commissioning a revised EPC to fully represent the new energy levels. This will require a re-visit and further assessment cost. 

My insulation is hidden under boards?

Every effort is made to identify where insulation is included including cavities and loft areas. Where no access is possible it will be necessary for the property owner to provide evidence of insulation such as an installer’s certificate/guarantee. If this is not possible, we will include a default in the software where no access is possible and that will result in a lower insulation rating guided by the Building Regulations in place at the time of construction.

I rent sections of my building. Do I need an EPC?

If there are changes to the number of parts in a building used for separate occupation and these changes involve providing or extending fixed heating, air conditioning or mechanical ventilation systems.

I want to check the energy rating of my building but I am not looking to sell or rent just yet?

This is a great idea and if you decide to move or rent within 10 years the EPC will still be valid. If you are not moving or renting, you will definitely benefit from finding out how good your building is at generating and retaining the energy used and what improvements could be made to reduce your energy bills.

Will I own my EPC?

If you purchase your EPC direct from us then yes you will and this will need passing onto you’re selling or letting agent and / or solicitor for the sale of your building. If you order the EPC through an estate agent or your solicitor then you will need to check with them as to the ownership.

Will estate agents and solicitors accept EPC’s produced by others?

Yes, although some may charge a nominal fee to check its legality.

Can a building fail an EPC?

It depends on the purpose of the EPC - whether for sale or rental. A professional EPC is an examination of the current energy efficiency and the effect on the environment. So the results of the assessment are based on the current levels of insulation and heating system. Where an issue may arise is if the EPC is not come within the required E - A bands for the Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards (MEES) for rental purposes. That means EPCs within the G - F bands will require some improvements to raise the 'band' rating up to a minimum of E. This is not a requirement for selling your building.

Will I need to be present during the inspection?

It is not a legal requirement to be present, however, it is highly recommended and more desirable that you or a representative is initially to explain any health and safety issues. In addition to security and health & safety, the surveyor may ask you for some information relating to your property. 

My building is Leasehold. Do I still need an EPC?

There are some exceptions where EPCs are not required:

  • listed or officially protected and the minimum energy performance requirements would unacceptably alter it
  • a temporary building only going to be used for 2 years or less
  • used as a place of worship or for other religious activities
  • an industrial site, workshop or non-residential agricultural building that doesn’t use much energy
  • a detached building with a total floor space under 50 square metres
  • due to be demolished by the seller or landlord and they have all the relevant planning and conservation consents

You must display an EPC by fixing it to your commercial building if all these apply:

  • the total useful floor area is over 500 square meters
  • the building is frequently visited by the public
  • an EPC has already been produced for the building’s sale, rental or construction

My building is less than 10 years old; do I still need an EPC?

Yes, you do. A building is only exempt if all of the following are true (additional to the points above):

  • it’s due to be sold or rented out with vacant possession
  • it’s suitable for demolition and the site could be redeveloped
  • the buyer or tenant has applied for planning permission to demolish it

I am having a new property built / I am having a new extension. Can you produce the EPC for this?

Yes we can. This is classed as Level 4 energy assessment.

What happens if I don’t get an EPC?

You can be fined between £500 and £5,000 based on the rateable value of the building if you don’t make an EPC available to any prospective buyer or tenant.

Require further advice - do not hesitate to contact me: (landline) 01792 424569; (mobile) 07986 099438 or email [email protected]